Tuesday 10 June 2014

I am going to vote.

I am going to vote.

Let me begin by saying, I’m not happy with the choices that I am begin offered in this Ontario Provincial Election.  (feel free to substitute "not happy" with "Frustrated" "Furious" "Fed Up" "Foaming at the Mouth" or any other appropriate "F" word)

Let me also acknowledge that I have a number of friends who may “decline” to vote.  Some will do so by presenting themselves at the polling station and declining (an official act and “vote”) and others will simply not turn up.  At least one person who will be declining has put more hours and effort into political and community work than I can imagine – far more than I have ever dedicated.   I respect and sympathize with him and with those who will not vote.
But I will vote.

I am angry at the corruption, arrogance and stupidity evident in all three of the “major” parties.  I wish for a time when parties did not simply do what they needed to do to be elected, but actually stood for principals and platforms, giving people the opportunity to choose.   Currently, voting is much the same as cheering for a favourite sports team:  they all play pretty much the same game, we just want our hands on the trophy that we might declare ourselves “winners” in the moment, with little regard to how this elected government may shape the future and support the people.
But I will vote.

I tire of the endless “conspiracy” theories that try to depict leaders as evil geniuses (geniuii?) set on destroying all that is good and pure.  Contrary to political rhetoric, neither Goldfinger nor Valdemort are running for office.  I don’t care from which secret cabal came this or that party’s platform – I want to talk about the platform.  Yes, I do think that our leaders should be sober and responsible citizens, but other than that, I don’t care about their personal lives.   I weary of this type of electioneering.
But I will vote.

I will vote because when “reasonable” folks like us don’t show up to vote, the zealots win and take power.  The National Front in France, Jobbik Party in Hungary, Golden Dawn in Greece, the Tea Party in the U.S. and some choices here in Canada scare the hell out of me.  (I decline to name the ones in Canada, so as not to alienate any of my friends… at least those also in rehab).  These parties prey on the most base fears of the populace and bully those who present compassion as a virtue and policy – after all, compassion costs money and we’re tired of wasting money on “those” undeserving people!  The only way to defeat these people, is to vote for an alternative and deny them the power of making decisions for the whole community.   I am afraid that declining doesn't get that done.
So, I will vote.

As powerless as I often feel when it comes to politics (i.e. my voice is not heard; my vote doesn't matter), I notice in today’s paper that one of the leaders has just flip-flopped on policy.  I won’t say which leader, but he  (oops) has apparently changed his mind on LRT in Ottawa.   Why did he do that?  Somehow, the voices of individuals have risen to the point that he knows that he has to change his plans to garner their votes… and he needs their votes.  With every flip-flop and policy contradiction, I recognize that the electorate does have power.  It’s not as direct or as immediate as we would like, but there is power, otherwise the politicians wouldn't bother even lying to us.  So, we need to be increasing skeptical, even as we try to avoid being cynical.  Push for the truth – don’t just give up.  Flip-Flops happened for a reason.
So, I will vote.

I am trying to take an evolutionary view of politics.  Although I believe in the “Big Bang”, I am more acquainted by experience with evolution:  Slow.  Not always predictable.  Before we run, we walk; before we walk, we crawl… before we crawl, we need to pull ourselves out of the slime.  That may be where we are now, trying to pull ourselves out of the slime of many of our current politicians and I may not get to see the responsible compassionate government that I pray for, any time soon…. But if I give up; if we give up, then we stay in the slime and never walk. 
So, I will vote.

I am tired of the personal attacks.  The sleazy, outrageous lies told to discredit leaders and candidates.  However, I am reminded that Thomas Jefferson’s supporters accused President John Adams of being a hermaphrodite with "neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman." Do, I need to talk about how remarkably offensive that is on so many levels?
In 1876, Democrats accused Republican candidate Rutherford B. Hayes of shooting his own mother, and stealing the pay of dead soldiers while he was a general.  
It does not take much of a memory or imagination to recall the things said about John A. MacDonald, Nellie McClung, Tommy Douglas, Barbara Hanley, Daurene Lewis, Gladys Grace May Strum,  Pierre Eliot Trudeau, Joe Clark, Mobina Jaffer… most of which were entirely baseless and cruel, having little to do with policies or future, but simply a desire to defeat a foe and win an election.   But from those horrible times, Canada becomes an independent nation, a Charter of Rights is established, Compassionate Programmes becomes National Institutions, and much of what we value and cherish today comes into being.   The personal attacks continue to disappoint me, but they will not stop me.  (btw, if you don’t recognize some the above names, look them up… it’s worth the time)
So, I will vote.

As for corruption, at the risk of depressing you, dear reader (or sounding like a keener OAC student ready for a final Canadian History exam),  let me remind you of the Pacific Scandal in 1870,  the Great Waterways Railway Scandal or 1910, Ontario Bond Scandal of the 1920s, the ever-popular  King-Byng Scandal in 1926, the Duplessis Orphans, Tunagate… and dare I mention, Patti Starr?   Corruption is not new.  It should not be tolerated or simply excused as the "Way of the world", but it should also not be enough to make us disengage.  

I know more than a few candidates who are bright, committed and compassionate, only wanting to serve the people of their communities.  It often seems that after being elected, the bullying and corruption of our system leads the to abandon principles and give up on ideals – “It’s just the way things are done” they are told…  That’s why our politicians need our attention and support AFTER they are elected, not just when they are running.  So that they know that they are not alone when they in the long halls and dark offices where ideals go to die… they need to know that it matters to the electorate that they remain people of integrity and compassion.
So, I will vote... and try not to disappear off the radar the day after the results are in.

Finally, I will vote because I can.  I am humbled when I see men and women risking their lives to vote for the first time.  I simply cannot look at the women in Afghanistan baring their inked forefingers to declare that they have decided to make their voices heard, their hopes and dreams available to the community and their love active… and decline my vote as if it were not something worth doing.
I want better…

I deserve better…

But, I will vote, at least until it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment